Monday 28 December 2015

Morton

Way back in March this year, when I was 7 months pregnant, I bought a beautiful new pair of very expensive flat boots. I thought i was doing my body a favour buying flat shoes - while carrying the baby weight my feet were swollen and I just couldn't hack high heels. However, after a day or so of wearing them, I felt as if I had something stuck under my right foot, around the fourth toe. I found nothing in there and, as it really wasn't too painful in comparison with the rest of the pregnancy-related health issues I was dealing with, I did nothing about it. When I increased my activity levels after Joseph was born however, it got worse and I felt pain in the joint and numbness in the toe so I went to see a physio.

8 months on and many physio sessions later, my foot is much worse (pain and numbness pretty much constantly) and I still have no clear diagnosis. I went through several supports and eventually proper orthotics, none of which helped. I recently tried a new physio, Tricia Strelioff. Tricia checked me over and said that she thinks I have developed Morton's Neuroma. She thinks the best treatment is going to be a corticosteroid injection. I've now had an MRI and next step is to go and see a radiologist called Dr. Derek Lohan, who can perform the injection assuming the MRI confirms the MN.

Anyway, all of this means no running for me at the moment, which on the upside has allowed me to develop a real love of swimming and cycling - more on those in the next couple of posts! Still...I do miss taking off on a fresh early morning run....bloody Morton...



1 comment: